International Co-op Day is this Saturday, July 4, and the theme for 2015 is “Choose co-operative, choose equality”. Is your co-op doing something to celebrate? If so, please share photo’s and comments on Facebook or Twitter with the hashtag #coops so that we can share co-op pride across the country.
If you don’t have plans yet, here are a few easy ideas.
- Get together with members for a fun activity, meal or celebration;
- Share the cop-op day image which includes the ICA co-op marque in your networks;
- Observe the date by posting on your bulletin board, website or newsletter;
- Reach out other co-ops in your community and join their activity.
- Individually, share what you think your co-op contributes to equality, economically or socially.
The most important action your co-op can take to celebrate this day is to join Canadian co-ops that have registered to use the international co-op marque to show your commitment to co-op values and principles. The internationally shared identity is being developed as an ethical brand identity exclusively for co-ops. Get it and share it proudly on International Co-op day!
The International Co-operative Alliance (ICA), which represents co-operatives in more than 90 countries around the world, first began celebrating International Co operative Day in 1923. In 1995, the United Nations proclaimed the first Saturday in July to be the International Day of Co operatives.